Library/Learning Center Prototype:
Ready for Reading strongly believes that mortar, bricks and books mean nothing without the human resources and partnerships committed to breathing life into the building and books. We have developed partnerships, which we believe is the strength of our model. This collaboration incorporates community stake-holders thereby laying a solid foundation from which to implement and sustain our projects. Sustainability can only be achieved when the people in a community are put at the center of their own development.
- Successfully build a Public Community Library and Learning Center
- Provide a long-term impact on language and IT literacy and learning, socio-economic development, community-building and healing
- Foster a culture of reading
- Develop a Rwanda National Library Association
- Support the professional development/staff training at library/learning centers
- Achieve long-term sustainability relying on Rwandan initiative, leadership and funding
- Partner with Rwandan local, district and federal government
- Grow the base of US Friends of Ready for Reading to raise funds for building equipping and staffing of Library/Learning Center
- Develop a collaborative relationship between Ready for Reading and the communities it serves by creating a Library/Learning Center Management Committee to design and manage initiatives that best meet the needs of the population
- Work in collaboration with library/literacy-oriented organizations for programming and support
- Continually seek to promote partnerships and relationships with educational and library organizations globally, such as Distance Learning and one laptop per child
- The RCLLC will serve as a bridge to medical education in supporting the work of Rwinkwavu Hospital in addressing the health care issues in the community
- The RCLLC, a model for a rural library learning center – first of it’s kind in Rwanda
- Collaborating with the newly formed Rwanda Library Services within the Ministry of Sports and Culture, Kayonza District, Rwinkwavu s Sector and local officials. The RCLLC, a rural model for a library/learning center, along with the KPL will work together as a pilot in establishing the public library system.
- We have established a warm and welcoming space central gathering place for the community. Through community-based initiatives we advance literacy, encourage curiosity and a love of learning, foster a culture of reading, provide access to global information and offer opportunities for social/cultural enrichment and community-building through participation of all ages.
- Highly trained local staff- for the past 15 months have trained staff in developing skills and talents
- Rwinkwavu is #1 in the country for the most adult literacy learners
- Ready for Reading believes in collaboration not duplication, and continues to build solid partnerships in the development of programming and activities with the Government, other organizations and individuals.
- Since opening in July 2012, the RCLLC has had a huge impact in the community. Almost daily, people in the community and other organizations are coming to us with amazing ideas and talent. So great is the demand and need for what we are doing, people of all ages from Rwinkwavu and beyond are flocking to the Library/Learning Center.